Slip and fall accidents are the most common accidents in California. A slip and fall accident can occur anywhere, from your home to a public building or even on a footpath. Such accidents can result in minor injuries to life threatening injuries or permanent damages for the victim.
If you become a victim of a slip and fall accident, you can file a lawsuit against the owner of the property where the accident occurred. Through this, you can recover the losses you suffered because of the accident. Consult slip and fall attorneys in California or click this useful link to know the procedures of filing a lawsuit for such cases.
Common Circumstances That Lead to Slip and Fall Accidents
There are some common circumstances or causes which lead to a slip and fall accident. Following are some of such circumstances you should be aware of, in order to avoid an accident:
Bad surface conditions are one of the most common causes for slip and fall accidents. The poor surface conditions that are commonly found leading to a slip and fall accident are listed below:
- Uneven surfaces that has no warning signs
- Floors those are recently waxed or mopped
- Loose floorboards, mats or even rugs especially on stairs
- Potholes in the ground or parking spaces
- Presence of spilled liquids on the floor
- Presence of splashed grease or oil on the floor
- Ice which is not salted
Apart from surface conditions, environmental conditions can also result in slip and fall accident. You must be extra careful to avoid this situation as they can lead to severe damages. Some of such conditions are listed below:
- Trash or debris lying on the surface
- A shiny floor that causes the reflection of bright light which results in glare
- Poor lighting conditions that prevents the visibility of obstacles present on the surface
- Cords that pass across walkways
- Desk or cabinet drawers that are left open
- Sudden and unexpected transitions from one type of surface to another, for example from a carpeted floor to a wooden floor.
A slip and fall accident can also occur on stairs which might result in some serious injuries. If you are not careful when rushing up or down the stair or if the stair is wet or slippery or if there is any obstacles present on the stair, it will lead to an accident. So be careful when you use a stair.