There are at least one million Americans that get injured in a slip and fall accident every year. Out of these 70% of the people will escape with mild injuries whereas the remaining 20 to 30% would suffer from severe injuries. Below is a discussion regarding the most common injuries that are found in the slip and fall cases in California.
There are several types of injuries picked up by victims of slip and fall cases. Some of the most common and severe injuries are head injuries, spinal cord injuries, hip fractures, back injuries, fractures, sprains, and shoulder injuries.
Head injuries could become the cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). These could eventually lead to an alteration of concentration, attention, language processing and memory loss in the victim. Speech and language problems could include issues such as speaking, writing, or reading really fast. It could also cause difficulty in being understood when speaking, slurred speech and inability to understand speech. There are other effects of the traumatic brain injuries such as ringing in ears and blurred vision. This directly impacts the senses of the victim.
Back injuries and hip fractures are also included in the category of severe injuries due to the extent of damage caused by them. These injuries result in severe pain. On most occasions, victims of these injuries will have to take a huge amount of pain-relieving medications. Furthermore, extensive therapy and surgery are required to reclaim the initial strength after the injury.
Out of all possible injuries, the ones to the spinal cord are the most severe. These injuries can only be treated and they cannot be reversed. The person experiences excruciating pain. Treatments such as invasive surgery are carried out to remove the factors causing the pain. According to the site of the injury—cervical spine or lumbar spine— the injuries could display several symptoms. The former would cause weakness throughout the body and eventually cause quadriplegia. The latter causes weakness in the legs and depending upon the severity of the injury, cause paraplegia.
As one would perceive, these injuries could pose serious threats to a person’s life as well as physical abilities. Furthermore, if the person suffers from a severe injury after a slip and fall incident causing permanent damage as well as loss of physical abilities, they might be eligible for a higher slip and fall settlement. It is advisable to consult a lawyer regarding this.